Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Think About Life: Straight from the Horses Mouth

What do you do when you’re overtaken by flu, bronchitis or Victorian consumption fever? You freak out a Sala Rosa crowd with serious, unforgiving pound-rock until they’ve fallen fever-frenzied (alliteration, ha!). Think About Life’s gig on Sunday certainly did not feel like hot lemon tea and teddybear-pelt blankets, let alone hallucinatory vomit sessions, even though singer Dishwahser’s super-horse voice testified to illness warranting cuddling sessions with Standard American and Tim Leary. What lacked in vocals was paid for generously in love, and sweat, and guttural beats.

A bit on the openers. Entered the scene during Bold Saber, a soda-fizz trio of quirky ironic non-rock, tv-ad jingle beat with that Raf guy from The Mirror/Vice on drums. The keyboardist cuted me out with her lazy, rolled-eyed and tossed-head backup vocals (not to mention the outfit), and in all, their silly songs were the ones we liked the best.



Crystal Clyffs
next.
I think the singer once coldly served me an over-topped pizza and pricey pitchers at some joint on deMaisonneuve near ConU. Listening, I thought Siouxsie Sioux, but the Banshees has been beat up by a pretty top 90s raw punk outfit. For me, the drummer's hyperbolic style overshadowed the singer's sporadic dance attempts, but a solid step towards the main event.







I am not gone spin more rock-review banter about Think About Life, just say, after seeing their name about and finally heading out to hear them, well,l I want to them to play again soon, in full vocal force, and me twice as drunk, and wi
thout having to be an obnoxious digi-photo-taker. There was some of the hardest dancing I have ever witnessed in the first six rows of Sala Rosa. Hope you like the shots and footage anyhow, and appreciate my sacrifices; I am especially pleased with the crowd-surfing money shot.

No comments: