Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fiery Echoes and Bunny Arcades

Good day children,

I thought I would open our lesson with something that a foreign uncle wrote to me in an email concerning one of Montreal's supposed most popular bands, The Arcade Fire. Writing that he had heard

"from [his] friend Kevin (Toronto) one of your [read: mine] local bands, Arcade Fire (silly name): 'Apparently the hottest band from Montreal. Heard a few good tunes on the radio...' Kevin added that they remind him of Echo and the Bunnymen and based on the 1 track I heard, I understood the similarity. Echo was a pretty darn good bad."

Primo, The name is not much, but ok, better than the standard 'The (plural noun)' or fragmented sentences or mild imperatives or personal declarations like 'Fear Before the March of Flames', 'Clap your Hands Say Ya', 'Yous Say Party! We Say Die!', 'Think About Life', or 'We are Wolves' (Montreal has an unhealthy relationship with lupine imagery, 'Aids Wolf', 'Wolf Parade', 'Teen Wolf', go figure, and Wolf is one of my original Heeby names, say Ze'Ev).

Secundo, I always wonder at the distinction between meaning that a band is one of the hottest bands now, and from Montreal, vs. a band being one of the hottest in Montreal. Yes, they may be Montreal's hottest export for now, but for my kessef, a local gem by the name of The Besnard Lakes (now that's a cacophonous moniker, but whatever) really rock the pants off this town, in their demonically atmospheric and psycho-tropical-cocktail manners.

Thirdly (my Italian stops there), Echo and the Bunnymen do rock hard, as hard as mid 80s rock can do. Don't get bogged down Ian McCulloch's vocal uncanniness to Sir Bono (may his neo-Jesus complex devour him whole), think more The Modern Lovers, The Magnetic Fields, Robyn Hitchcock, etc. Then again, speaking of band names, ummm... Bunnymen... ok?

Some fun facts: That cover version of The Doors' 'People are Strange' from Joel Schumacher's THE LOST BOYS (I think one of my first favourite films as an ugly little Jewish boy, damn those Coreys used to rule!), that E and the B men. You may also know their killer song 'Killing Moon' from the DONNIE DARKO soundtrack.

Lesson summary and further research, check out Echo's first album CROCODILES (1980), picture featured above, and their fourth album OCEAN RAIN (1984).

I shall now close with some further fun facts on my person, so as to simmer our awkwardly budding relationship and get you to scooch over closer to me on the settee. Let' see: I am tall, thin, almost blind, hearing is beginning to go, excellent with universal remote controls (part of my overall consolidating tendencies), hate talking on the telephone, prefer walking to running, dance frequently alone in my apartment, admire micro-fibres and would rather be a Vampire than Werewolf or Zombie.

What kind of monster are you?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging as far as something that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are about 190 pounds on every page. But for all I set this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone


Why should you pay ebay big money when you can use http://www.BuySellDirect.net for free to sell your products.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is the future of E-commerce to buy direct from the manufacturer and sell direct to consumers FREE. Their service is rock solid and most important 100% FREE