Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Berlin 1945: A Reich Naked

A German department store, in Berlin, after the war. This is civilization in the nude, but don't we all blush a little.
I have seen several movies recently that deal with the zoned and shady spy ridden city. What a time, checkpoints, brothels, propaganda, etc. Alain Robbe-Grillet hidden in Turkish opium dens with faceless young girls, Peter Lorre watching, me writing absolute nonsense--perhaps it would be business as usual. Still, to speak film-noiry and wear fedoras would be quite a trip.

Here is another picture that reminds one of the power of sharp dressing. Remember children, architecture is the wardrobe of cities. And Germany certainly had its fantasies of strutting down that global catwalk. But I, though of pyramid-builder descent, harvest no ill-will towards our Deutscher friends (I am, in fact, often accused of rampant Germanophilia, but aren't we all, nicht wahr?).

Well I spoke my peace for the final time this evening. Hold it, please.


No comments: